Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 4, 2008: The Day the World Changed


Last night after hearing Obama's speech about the changes in the country over the lifetime of a 106 year-old woman, a quote that came from a (black) friend's mom really hit me:

"We've gone from the back of the bus in the 1960s to the WHITE house in 2009"

There is obviously still a lot of work that needs to be done to erase racism, classicism, sexism, heterosexism, etc. but I think last night was a HUGE step in the right direction for not only America, but also for the world. Speaking to a few of my South African friends online last night made me realize that Obama's win is being celebrated all over the world.

Hopefully this will mean significant, positive changes for minorities, women, gays and the middle and lower-classes. Call me overly optimistic, but I think it will.

"NOTHING can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for CHANGE" -Barack Obama '08, so let's not forget, the fight to end injustice doesn't end here--now the real work begins.

And change is a-comin'.

No comments: