Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's Next?

Bayh resigned the day before the senatorial candidate's forms & signatures are due. If no one files by noon today, it's in the hands of the Indiana Democratic Party to choose the senate candidate (Indiana code 3-13-1-7). Maddow interviewed Dan Parker, chairman of the Indiana Democratic Party, on what's next for Indiana democrats:


Although D'Ippolito's chances of being on the ballot are looking grim, I completely agree with her statement about the Hoosier political world: “Politics in Indiana is the old boy’s school.” And I hate to get all lady-lovin' gendertastic* on you, but alas, it's in my nature. Currently, 17 of the 100 U.S. Senators are women. Thirteen of the women who have served were appointed; seven of those were appointed to succeed their deceased husbands. In the next decade it would be really refreshing to see an Indiana that is progressive enough to elect a lady senator (just throwing that pipe dream out there).

Keeping Indiana blue for the 2010 election is looking to be an uphill battle.

*word pulled from personal lexicon:
gendertastic -adj - describing unrestrained gender ideology





Become a fan of Lefty's Last Cry on Facebook
Follow Lefty's Last Cry on Twitter

5 comments:

ShamRockNRoll said...

Great post, Andrea! Your gendertasticness is one of the reasons I love ya!

ShamRockNRoll said...

...Evan Bayh is really pissing me off... have you seen the comments he's been making? I want to kick that guy in the balls. I feel like he's planning to pull a Lieberman and find a new home in the GOP when he returns to politics, which of course he will.

ShamRockNRoll said...

Andrea, do you know anything about this D'Ippolito lady? It doesn't look like she got the qualifying signatures, and it's clear that the party establishment is happy about that... I'm just curious why it is they don't like her, aside from her lack of experience.

Bill said...

I figured it's because they're afraid that she'll lose.

Andrea Watts said...

Thanks Brendan!

I agree with Bill. Gender aside, I don't think she had the political experience to run for something as ambitious as a senate seat.

I do not know her personally, but I talked to someone from Bloomington that has met her on numerous occasions and they said she's a big box of crazy. That's all hearsay...

Here's D'Ippolito's facebook wall:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tamyra-For-Senate/178606233224?ref=ts