Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Comforter in Chief

A president is the face of a nation, regardless of his or her approval rating, and that means a president is expected to speak and to inspire the nation in good times and bad times. This is especially true in times of unexpected and sudden tragedy.

President Obama recently gave a speech in Arizona, which I thought was very well done, and seems to have helped Americans recover from this latest tragedy. I listened to both the speech and an NPR story about the speech. I recommend listening or reading to both. I hope some good things emerge in the wake of this tragedy, I hope that the talk about partisan rhetoric isn't just noise, and I hope that the American people's faith in President Obama is restored somewhat.

The NPR report talked about how this tragedy might be a turning point in Obama's presidency. The New York Times agrees and compiled a few examples of presidential adresses in the wake of tragedies, which I enjoyed looking through and thought I should share with the Lefty's community.

In the same vein, I'd like to call attention to Robert Kennedy's speech in
response to the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Robert Kennedy was never President, because he was also assassinated, but he was a presidential candidate at the time of this speech and I consider this speech as powerful and as influential as those on the New York Times list.

It hasn't passed my notice that Martin Luther King Jr. day was celebrated just yesterday, nor the coincidence that this speech was delivered in Indiana.

It is a shame that our nation, and many other nations who often undergo worse, has to endure tragedies such as these. It is great, however, when a leader emerges to speak to our hearts when such tragedies do arise.

1 comment:

Mark Prime said...

"It is a shame that our nation, and many other nations who often undergo worse, has to endure tragedies such as these. It is great, however, when a leader emerges to speak to our hearts when such tragedies do arise."

Nice post my friend. Thank you.